PADDLE MYTHICAL PATAGONIA
8 Days, 7 Nights
Come join us for an unforgettable Patagonian sea kayak adventure in the magnificent fjords of Comau, Quintupeu and Cahuelmo, the eastern side of the Gulf of Ancud, where wild mountains cliffs soar out of the dark waters to touch the sky. This 8-day Sea Kayaking trip is an unforgettable adventure where you will experience amazing glacial valleys, spectacular volcanoes, emerald lakes, temperate rainforests, stunning mountains and an abundance of marine wildlife including dolphins, sea lions, penguins and other sea birds.
Enjoy fresh salmon steaks, or steamed shellfish gathered from the cliffs at low tide - all prepared by our cook in the miniature galley of our picturesque support vessel. Watch the sunset on the peaks as you relax in natural hot pools. Spread your sleeping bag under the diamond stars of the Southern Cross.
Quite simply this is the quintessential ‘bucket list’ adventure that you must check off! Patagonia has become synonymous with adventure and for good reason, it has a unique beauty that speaks to one’s adventurous spirit.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE patagonia TRIP
- Spectacular white capped Peaks
- Glacial valleys
- Emerald Lakes
- Primeval temperate rainforests
- Marine wildlife, including dolphins, sea lions, penguins and other sea birds
- Mother ship and chef
- Relaxing hot pools
- Sleeping under the diamond stars of the Southern Cross
- Transfer in from Puerto Montt airport to hotel in Puerto Varas. Free time to relax in this picturesque city of the Lake Region with its century-old mansions, cozy restaurants and natural attractions along the shores of Llanquihue Lake. Welcome dinner and overnight in Puerto Varas.
- We leave from Puerto Varas driving through the beautiful countryside with views of the Llanquihue Lake and the first glimpses of the volcanoes
- We reach the Petrohue river falls and to continue on to Todos Los Santos Lake also called the Emerald Lake.
- After lunch we drive up the Osorno Volcano.
- At 3000 feet, we reach la Burbuja Crater, where an amazing view of the valley awaits including The Calbuco Volcano, the Tronador Mountain and the winding path of the rivers.
- We start a 2 -3 hrs beautiful hike
- Overnight in Puerto Varas.
- After breakfast in the hotel we drive down the Southern Highway and cross the Reloncavi Estuary to Hornopiren.
- We board our support vessel and head for Los Ciervos Island for lunch in a nice cove.
- After lunch we sail on to Llancahue Island, where we climb into our sea kayaks for instruction and practice.
- Camp for the night on Llancahue island.
- We put in near the entrance to Quintupeu Fjord, where the German battleship Dresden hid out during World War I. The sheer slopes, cut by countless waterfalls tumbling off the heights, are covered with lush vegetation that hangs over our heads. As we glide along under this lush canopy, we try to catch a glimpse of dolphins jumping near our kayaks.
- We camp at the end of the fjord.
- We paddle down to Cahuelmo Fjord, stopping at the entrance to see if there are any sea lions at play. We don't stop for long though, because we continue paddling to the far end of Cahuelmo in time to get up the river, or hike through the wild tidal flats.
- Finally, we take a relaxing dip in Cahuelmo Hot Springs before turning in for the night.
- Our goal for today's journey is Porcelana Hot Springs.
- Stop at the settlement of Huinay and hike up a glacial valley surrounded by snowcapped mountains.
- From this village we cut straight across Comau Fjord to Porcelana, where we pitch camp in a lush green pasture.
- We paddle down to the end of Comau Fjord to Leptepu, passing by stunning snow-capped peaks on our way to a secluded corner with plunging waterfalls and virgin forests. We also see a lagoon, teeming with wildlife which we can reach by kayak at high tide.
- In the afternoon we return to Porcelana and head for the hot tidal pools surrounded by magnificent scenery.
- We board our support vessel to navigate up Comau Fjord to Hornopiren
- We take the road back to Puerto Varas (or Puerto Montt) in time to catch the evening flight or bus to Santiago.
- Have a safe flight home and we hope to see you again on another Cuba Adventure Company get-a-way.
March 1-8 - Filling fast!
March 17-24 - 4 spaces left!